Skip to main content

When I stretch my hip flexor muscles I feel it in the front of my thighs. Is this right?

 The short answer is yes!  In my first post I talked about the movement of hip flexion and listed the hip flexors.  We have already covered the iliopsoas the main flexor of the hip.  Today I am going to talk about the rectus femoris muscle which also assist with hip flexion. 

The rectus femoris is the large muscles at the front of your upper thigh.  If you sit down with a tray on your lap, the tray would be resting on your rectus femoris. It is part of the quadriceps, four muscles on the front of the leg between the pelvis and the knee. Rectus femoris is the only quadricep that reaches over the hip joint as it originates on the front of the pelvis.  

In class I often reference your ASIS (Anterior Superior Illiac Spine), you have two and they are the nobly bones you can feel through your skin at the front of your pelvis.  Well you also have two AIIS (Anterior Inferior Illiac Spine) this is another nobly part of the pelvic bone at the front of the body just below the ASIS and this is where the rectus femoris originates.  Why not feel this part of your body now, trace a line from below the ASIS along the thigh to the top of the knee bone.  Finally the rectus femoris ends (inserts) as part of the quadriceps tendon onto the Patella (knee bone). 

So if you feel a stretching through your quadriceps when you are stretching your hip flexors, that is just as it should be.  Your hip flexors are a group of muscles that includes one of your quadriceps. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flex, rotate, extend and articulate your spine.

Articulate your spine!  How many times have you been asked to do this in a Pilates lesson?  If you come to one of mine, probably lots.   The cue, "articulate your spine" is used in the large pelvic tilt exercise and is used to promote movement between each individual vertebra.  In a large pelvic tilt you start in the Pilates relaxation position.  Firstly you tilt your pelvis so that your lower back moves closer to your mat and your pubic bone rises (a small pelvic tilt).  Then leading from your pubic bone you peel your spine from the mat one vertebra at a time, until you reach a bridge position.  To come back down, I like to think I am trying to imprint my spine into sand.  So to make a really good spine print I have to get each vertebra to touch down individually finishing with my tail bone.  Naturally I am engaging my core throughout the whole exercise.  So what do we achieve by articulating our spines?  We have lots of muscl...

Can Pilates really help weak feet and ankles?

 Yes........I should explain why.  As you already know from last weeks post you have lots of perfectly places bones in your foot supporting the weight from your body in three fabulous arches and some other bony structures. These bones are held in place by ligaments, fascia, tendons and muscles.   Foot exercises are really important to the health of you feet, you should not exclude your feet and ankles from your exercise plan.  Strengthening the muscles that run from the top of your calf and then under you foot where they fan out will improve the mobility of your foot and support the planter fascia (a strong layer of fibrous tissue beneath the skin on the sole of the foot).   In Pilates you might notice that rising up onto your tip toes and controlling your decent is a regular feature to lessons.  This is taught as it works 8 lower limb muscles which all support the ankle and have foot operation responsibilities.  Next time you go onto tip toe...

Pilates key principles: Precision

 Before I trained as a Pilates teacher I attended classes for years.  I was always trying to speed through exercises to get extra repetitions in and prove to myself that I was really strong.  However I was not really strong and I was not aware of the key Pilates principles.  Precision in movement is the exact manner that an action is executed.  When you are completing a Pilates exercise you are using your breath to power you movement, your concentration, your Centre, your control and finally your precision.   The greater the precision the more likely you are to find the muscles that should be exercised and then to achieve your goal.    When exercising I am thinking of the muscle that should be working, isolating it and being precises in my movement.  Precision can make the difference between accessing a muscle or not.  Next time you are in a class, slow down and connect with the muscle your working.  Use all the Pilates princip...