Skip to main content

My feet are amazing! But how should I stand and why does this matter?

 Each of your feet are amazing, I know that I did not appreciate my feet until I had a accident and one of my feet stopped working as well as it used to.  My extreme sport of choice was piggy in the middle with my children on the beach, when I kick a stone.  This has continued to impact my foot health for over 18 months (well I'm still recovering).  

Each of your feet are made up of 26 bones, 30 joints and more than 100 muscles, tendons and ligaments. Your feet are the most amazing mobile weight bearing structures around.  When anatomists write about the foot, they often refer to the "bony architecture" of the foot. Now start to think about the structure of your foot as "bony architecture" and you can start understanding how you foot is similar to a vaulted church ceiling. Lots of individual bones precisely placed to fit together in an amazing arched structure.  What is incredible about the foot is that there are three arches at work.


You have the arch that you are probably familiar with on the inside (medial) of your foot, it runs from the ball of the foot behind the big toe to the heal, feel it now on your body.  You also have a smaller arch on the outside (lateral) of your foot it runs behind the ball of the foot at the little toe to the heal.  Finally you have an arch that runs from the lateral arch across the underneath of your foot to the medial arch called the transverse arch.  Be aware that when feeling this arch on your foot it might tickle. 

Now stand up with you feet hip width apart and knees soft (not locked back).  First notice if your feet are parallel.  If they are not, try to correct them.  Now think about how the weight of your body is transferring through your feet.  Are you standing into your heals or onto the balls of your feet.  Is more of you body weight on the outside (lateral) or inside (medial) edge of your feet. You might like to gently rock on you feet to feel the weight of you body move from front to back or side to side and come to a stop in the middle. Try to settle your weight through the center of your three foot arches.  How does this feel?  Do you feel natural in this position? 

Your journey to strengthening your feet starts by getting to know them and then thinking about how the position of your feet changes the position of your legs and then your pelvis, back, shoulders and neck.  Your foot position can give clues to muscle weakness within you body.  Everyone's body is a spectacular collection of connections and in Pilates we work the body from a neutral position and this includes you feet.  Next time you work out spend an extra few seconds paying attention to you foot position.

. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flex, rotate, extend and articulate your spine.

Articulate your spine!  How many times have you been asked to do this in a Pilates lesson?  If you come to one of mine, probably lots.   The cue, "articulate your spine" is used in the large pelvic tilt exercise and is used to promote movement between each individual vertebra.  In a large pelvic tilt you start in the Pilates relaxation position.  Firstly you tilt your pelvis so that your lower back moves closer to your mat and your pubic bone rises (a small pelvic tilt).  Then leading from your pubic bone you peel your spine from the mat one vertebra at a time, until you reach a bridge position.  To come back down, I like to think I am trying to imprint my spine into sand.  So to make a really good spine print I have to get each vertebra to touch down individually finishing with my tail bone.  Naturally I am engaging my core throughout the whole exercise.  So what do we achieve by articulating our spines?  We have lots of muscl...

Can Pilates really help weak feet and ankles?

 Yes........I should explain why.  As you already know from last weeks post you have lots of perfectly places bones in your foot supporting the weight from your body in three fabulous arches and some other bony structures. These bones are held in place by ligaments, fascia, tendons and muscles.   Foot exercises are really important to the health of you feet, you should not exclude your feet and ankles from your exercise plan.  Strengthening the muscles that run from the top of your calf and then under you foot where they fan out will improve the mobility of your foot and support the planter fascia (a strong layer of fibrous tissue beneath the skin on the sole of the foot).   In Pilates you might notice that rising up onto your tip toes and controlling your decent is a regular feature to lessons.  This is taught as it works 8 lower limb muscles which all support the ankle and have foot operation responsibilities.  Next time you go onto tip toe...

Pilates key principles: Precision

 Before I trained as a Pilates teacher I attended classes for years.  I was always trying to speed through exercises to get extra repetitions in and prove to myself that I was really strong.  However I was not really strong and I was not aware of the key Pilates principles.  Precision in movement is the exact manner that an action is executed.  When you are completing a Pilates exercise you are using your breath to power you movement, your concentration, your Centre, your control and finally your precision.   The greater the precision the more likely you are to find the muscles that should be exercised and then to achieve your goal.    When exercising I am thinking of the muscle that should be working, isolating it and being precises in my movement.  Precision can make the difference between accessing a muscle or not.  Next time you are in a class, slow down and connect with the muscle your working.  Use all the Pilates princip...