Skip to main content

What do I think about when engaging my core?

 When I engage my core I think about being a Greek Goddess.  In another life at another time maybe, but seriously .............

Before you engage your core you need to know where you bottom ribs are (stop reading and feel them now).  You also need to know where you ASIS bones are.  They are the nobly bones at the front of your pelvis.  (You will now need to stop reading, stand up and feel the front of your pelvis.)  On each side of you pelvis there are bone close to the surface of your skin that you can feel with your finger tips.  They are your ASIS.  Finally you will need to find your tail bone and pubis bone.  Again you will need to stand up and centrally at the top of your bottom you should be able to feel your tail bone and at the front of your pelvis centrally you can feel your pubis bone. 

To engage my core I stand with my feet hip width apart and my pelvis in a neutral alignment.  I take a deep breath in and as I exhale I think about my lower two ribs and my ASIS bones pulling in and towards my tummy button.  At the same time I think about my tail bone pulling forward towards my pubis bone.  Nothing actually moves, but my deep abdominal muscles contract and my bottom remains soft.  I can only describe the feeling as your waist getting slightly thinner.  




You do not need to engage your core muscles to 100% of your ability.   It is best to practice engaging them around 40%.  When you are completing your Pilates work out, your body will tell you when you need to turn your core muscles on a little stronger.  Just listen to your body. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flex, rotate, extend and articulate your spine.

Articulate your spine!  How many times have you been asked to do this in a Pilates lesson?  If you come to one of mine, probably lots.   The cue, "articulate your spine" is used in the large pelvic tilt exercise and is used to promote movement between each individual vertebra.  In a large pelvic tilt you start in the Pilates relaxation position.  Firstly you tilt your pelvis so that your lower back moves closer to your mat and your pubic bone rises (a small pelvic tilt).  Then leading from your pubic bone you peel your spine from the mat one vertebra at a time, until you reach a bridge position.  To come back down, I like to think I am trying to imprint my spine into sand.  So to make a really good spine print I have to get each vertebra to touch down individually finishing with my tail bone.  Naturally I am engaging my core throughout the whole exercise.  So what do we achieve by articulating our spines?  We have lots of muscl...

Can Pilates really help weak feet and ankles?

 Yes........I should explain why.  As you already know from last weeks post you have lots of perfectly places bones in your foot supporting the weight from your body in three fabulous arches and some other bony structures. These bones are held in place by ligaments, fascia, tendons and muscles.   Foot exercises are really important to the health of you feet, you should not exclude your feet and ankles from your exercise plan.  Strengthening the muscles that run from the top of your calf and then under you foot where they fan out will improve the mobility of your foot and support the planter fascia (a strong layer of fibrous tissue beneath the skin on the sole of the foot).   In Pilates you might notice that rising up onto your tip toes and controlling your decent is a regular feature to lessons.  This is taught as it works 8 lower limb muscles which all support the ankle and have foot operation responsibilities.  Next time you go onto tip toe...

Pilates key principles: Precision

 Before I trained as a Pilates teacher I attended classes for years.  I was always trying to speed through exercises to get extra repetitions in and prove to myself that I was really strong.  However I was not really strong and I was not aware of the key Pilates principles.  Precision in movement is the exact manner that an action is executed.  When you are completing a Pilates exercise you are using your breath to power you movement, your concentration, your Centre, your control and finally your precision.   The greater the precision the more likely you are to find the muscles that should be exercised and then to achieve your goal.    When exercising I am thinking of the muscle that should be working, isolating it and being precises in my movement.  Precision can make the difference between accessing a muscle or not.  Next time you are in a class, slow down and connect with the muscle your working.  Use all the Pilates princip...