Skip to main content

Your Core Muscles are like a tin can

 Your Core Muscles are like a tin can.  How many times have you thought you were engaging your core perfectly and then realized that your bottom was also squeezed tightly.  I remember thinking that it was impossible to engage my core without squeezing my bum.  However an understanding of what parts of the body make up the core, some brilliant descriptive ques and practice have improved my Pilates and how I am able to control my body.

At the top of our core tin can you will find your diaphragm.  I think its most famous for making us hiccup.  The bottom of our tin can is made of a large collection of muscles known as the pelvic floor or (Coccygeus, Iliococcygeus, Pubococcygeus and Puborectalis), you will be able to feel these muscles if you need to hold onto a wee. The Multifidus muscles of the spine make up the rear section of our tin can, you use these muscles when you twist you torso to look behind you and flex your torso from side to side (like you would if you were running around pretending to be an airplane). Each side we have external oblique, internal oblique and transversus abdominals, again you can feel these muscles working if you pretend to be an airplane with you arms outstretched and you torso flexing from side to side. Finally the front of our tin can is where we find our rectus abdominus or the muscles you use to do a sit up. 

So how does this help me find my core?  Its about understanding that you are not just pulling your tummy button towards the spine.  You are recruiting all the core muscles in your tin can to create a strong stable basis for your controlled movement.  Once you can picture which muscles you want to recruit it becomes very clear that you bottom is not part of your core. For many years I was not aware of this and just understanding where my core muscles are helped me to improve my engagement and my Pilates practice. 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Osteoporosis

 Osteoporosis is a condition that lots of us recognise, but do we really know what it is?   It is a condition where your bones lose strength, this would not be noticed until you had a slip or a fall, you may not even know you have it.  However because the bones have lost some of their strength a simple accident could end up causing a bone fracture (break).  This condition impacts both females and  males.  How do the bones lose strength?  Your bone are just as alive and changing as your skin.  It is normal for us to shed some old skin as we grow new skin.  In our bones, old bone is absorbed by cells called osteoclasts and then new bone is built by cells called osteoblasts.  This process is know as bone remodeling and keeps our skeleton healthy.  As we travel through phases of our life the hormones that balance this cycle change.  As we get older some aspects of our bodies don't keep working as efficiently as they used to.  Take the osteoclasts for example, who have worked at top spe

My feet are amazing! But how should I stand and why does this matter?

  Each of your feet are amazing, I know that I did not appreciate my feet until I had a accident and one of my feet stopped working as well as it used to.  My extreme sport of choice was piggy in the middle with my children on the beach, when I  kick a stone.  This has continued to impact my foot health for over 18 months (well I'm still recovering).   Each of your feet are made up of 26 bones, 30 joints and more than 100 muscles, tendons and ligaments. Your feet are the most amazing mobile weight bearing structures around.  When anatomists write about the foot, they often refer to the "bony architecture" of the foot. Now start to think about the structure of your foot as "bony architecture" and you can start understanding how you foot is similar to a vaulted church ceiling. Lots of individual bones precisely placed to fit together in an amazing arched structure.  What is incredible about the foot is that there are three arches at work. You have the arch that yo

Pilates key principles: Control

 In Pilates we aim to maintain a high level of control over the movements that we make.  As you will have completed some Pilates with me, you will be aware that a small angle change in leg positioning or increased stability through the pelvis can suddenly increase the intensity of an exercise.  When thinking about control it is very closely related to precision and you could say that these key principles come hand in hand.  You will find that control is improved once you have made multiple attempts at an exercise.  Muscles will increase in strength and your muscles will remember the movement of an exercise.  Therefore when taking part in a class, stay at a level where you can maintain control.   If you work at too high a level you will find it harder to master the control of position and movement and then perfect the exercise.  When we have control over a movement we are also able to make the movement using only the muscles connected with that motion.  An example of where things can go