Skip to main content

Your Core Muscles are like a tin can

 Your Core Muscles are like a tin can.  How many times have you thought you were engaging your core perfectly and then realized that your bottom was also squeezed tightly.  I remember thinking that it was impossible to engage my core without squeezing my bum.  However an understanding of what parts of the body make up the core, some brilliant descriptive ques and practice have improved my Pilates and how I am able to control my body.

At the top of our core tin can you will find your diaphragm.  I think its most famous for making us hiccup.  The bottom of our tin can is made of a large collection of muscles known as the pelvic floor or (Coccygeus, Iliococcygeus, Pubococcygeus and Puborectalis), you will be able to feel these muscles if you need to hold onto a wee. The Multifidus muscles of the spine make up the rear section of our tin can, you use these muscles when you twist you torso to look behind you and flex your torso from side to side (like you would if you were running around pretending to be an airplane). Each side we have external oblique, internal oblique and transversus abdominals, again you can feel these muscles working if you pretend to be an airplane with you arms outstretched and you torso flexing from side to side. Finally the front of our tin can is where we find our rectus abdominus or the muscles you use to do a sit up. 

So how does this help me find my core?  Its about understanding that you are not just pulling your tummy button towards the spine.  You are recruiting all the core muscles in your tin can to create a strong stable basis for your controlled movement.  Once you can picture which muscles you want to recruit it becomes very clear that you bottom is not part of your core. For many years I was not aware of this and just understanding where my core muscles are helped me to improve my engagement and my Pilates practice. 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flex, rotate, extend and articulate your spine.

Articulate your spine!  How many times have you been asked to do this in a Pilates lesson?  If you come to one of mine, probably lots.   The cue, "articulate your spine" is used in the large pelvic tilt exercise and is used to promote movement between each individual vertebra.  In a large pelvic tilt you start in the Pilates relaxation position.  Firstly you tilt your pelvis so that your lower back moves closer to your mat and your pubic bone rises (a small pelvic tilt).  Then leading from your pubic bone you peel your spine from the mat one vertebra at a time, until you reach a bridge position.  To come back down, I like to think I am trying to imprint my spine into sand.  So to make a really good spine print I have to get each vertebra to touch down individually finishing with my tail bone.  Naturally I am engaging my core throughout the whole exercise.  So what do we achieve by articulating our spines?  We have lots of muscl...

Can Pilates really help weak feet and ankles?

 Yes........I should explain why.  As you already know from last weeks post you have lots of perfectly places bones in your foot supporting the weight from your body in three fabulous arches and some other bony structures. These bones are held in place by ligaments, fascia, tendons and muscles.   Foot exercises are really important to the health of you feet, you should not exclude your feet and ankles from your exercise plan.  Strengthening the muscles that run from the top of your calf and then under you foot where they fan out will improve the mobility of your foot and support the planter fascia (a strong layer of fibrous tissue beneath the skin on the sole of the foot).   In Pilates you might notice that rising up onto your tip toes and controlling your decent is a regular feature to lessons.  This is taught as it works 8 lower limb muscles which all support the ankle and have foot operation responsibilities.  Next time you go onto tip toe...

Pilates key principles: Precision

 Before I trained as a Pilates teacher I attended classes for years.  I was always trying to speed through exercises to get extra repetitions in and prove to myself that I was really strong.  However I was not really strong and I was not aware of the key Pilates principles.  Precision in movement is the exact manner that an action is executed.  When you are completing a Pilates exercise you are using your breath to power you movement, your concentration, your Centre, your control and finally your precision.   The greater the precision the more likely you are to find the muscles that should be exercised and then to achieve your goal.    When exercising I am thinking of the muscle that should be working, isolating it and being precises in my movement.  Precision can make the difference between accessing a muscle or not.  Next time you are in a class, slow down and connect with the muscle your working.  Use all the Pilates princip...