Skip to main content

How can Pilates help strengthen the plantar fascia?


Many people have no idea what the plantar fascia is or where it is.  A few find that pain caused by the plantar fascia in their feet can stop them participating in an active life and everything they want to do.  The plantar fascia is a strong fibrous band that runs along the base of the foot.  It attaches into the heel bone (calcaneus) stretches across the bottom of the foot (helping to support our foot arches) and branches out connecting into each toe. 

So how can Pilates help?  Well we can't directly strengthen the connective tissue of the plantar fascia but we can strengthen the muscle architecture around the plantar fascia.  The strengthening of nearby foot muscles can reduce the plantar fascia load, combined with appropriate footwear and rest  

Some muscles in your calf run past your ankle and spread out over the bottom of your foot. These include the tibialis posterior, flexor digitorum longus and flexor hallucis longus.  When we raise ourselves into tip toes we should be thinking about stretching and working these muscles. 

I regularly hear from clients that they are told to rise and lower onto tip toes to strengthen the foot.  This is correct.  However its how you rise and lower that make a big difference into the effectiveness of movement.  One client pointed out to me that coming to one of my classes is much better for her feet than doing tip toes at home.  

This is how I think you should do tip toes:
  •  Start standing hip width apart.  Use the "standing tips" from my blog post on 31st January 2022 to stand correctly. 
  • Now inhale, as you exhale engage your core and slowly raise your heel until you are standing in a tip toe position.  The movement should be controlled and smooth. 
  • Pause, look at your feet.  Has the ball of your foot curled in or out?  Can you correct this? Hold the tip toe for a few moments, take a breath in wide and full. 
  • Slowly lower the heel down to the floor as you exhale and engage your core.  The movement should be controlled and smooth.  Think about stretching out the base of your foot almost like your are trying to lengthen your feet.
  • If you are struggling with balance you can hold onto a chair or the wall.  You might want to do tip toes in front of a mirror.  Sometimes a mirror will show you if your body is leaning forwards or to one side when coming into your tiptoe position. Concentrate on stretching the top of your head up to be as tall as you can. 
As with most Pilates movements, start doing 5 repetitions and build up to 10 if you want to.  I often practice tip toes whilst cleaning my teeth. I challenge myself to rise and lower as slow as I possibly can.  That definitely increases the intensity of feeling in my feet. 

In my studio I work the feet on the reformer, with a wobble board and a soft ball.  Pilates can reduce foot pain as I have clients who are now living their best "foot pain free" lives. 

As always, please don't do anything that causses you pain and seek advice from a GP if you are worried. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flex, rotate, extend and articulate your spine.

Articulate your spine!  How many times have you been asked to do this in a Pilates lesson?  If you come to one of mine, probably lots.   The cue, "articulate your spine" is used in the large pelvic tilt exercise and is used to promote movement between each individual vertebra.  In a large pelvic tilt you start in the Pilates relaxation position.  Firstly you tilt your pelvis so that your lower back moves closer to your mat and your pubic bone rises (a small pelvic tilt).  Then leading from your pubic bone you peel your spine from the mat one vertebra at a time, until you reach a bridge position.  To come back down, I like to think I am trying to imprint my spine into sand.  So to make a really good spine print I have to get each vertebra to touch down individually finishing with my tail bone.  Naturally I am engaging my core throughout the whole exercise.  So what do we achieve by articulating our spines?  We have lots of muscl...

Pilates key principles: Precision

 Before I trained as a Pilates teacher I attended classes for years.  I was always trying to speed through exercises to get extra repetitions in and prove to myself that I was really strong.  However I was not really strong and I was not aware of the key Pilates principles.  Precision in movement is the exact manner that an action is executed.  When you are completing a Pilates exercise you are using your breath to power you movement, your concentration, your Centre, your control and finally your precision.   The greater the precision the more likely you are to find the muscles that should be exercised and then to achieve your goal.    When exercising I am thinking of the muscle that should be working, isolating it and being precises in my movement.  Precision can make the difference between accessing a muscle or not.  Next time you are in a class, slow down and connect with the muscle your working.  Use all the Pilates princip...

When I stretch my hip flexor muscles I feel it in the front of my thighs. Is this right?

 The short answer is yes!  In my first post I talked about the movement of hip flexion and listed the hip flexors.  We have already covered the iliopsoas the main flexor of the hip.  Today I am going to talk about the rectus femoris muscle which also assist with hip flexion.  The rectus femoris is the large muscles at the front of your upper thigh.  If you sit down with a tray on your lap, the tray would be resting on your rectus femoris. It is part of the quadriceps, four muscles on the front of the leg between the pelvis and the knee. Rectus femoris is the only quadricep that reaches over the hip joint as it originates on the front of the pelvis.   In class I often reference your ASIS ( A nterior S uperior I lliac S pine), you have two and they are the nobly bones you can feel through your skin at the front of your pelvis.  Well you also have two  AIIS ( A nterior I nferior I lliac S pine) this is another nobly part of the pelvic bon...