Skip to main content

Glute Max

 Your glute maximus muscle is the biggest (largest and heaviest) muscle in your body.  It is the muscle you can feel if you tap your bottom. The two other glute muscles, glute medius and glute minimus are mainly sitting beneath the larger and most famous glute max. 

The glute max is responsible for hip extension, this is when you leg stretches behind your body.  When you walk there is a small moment when you push off the toe of the behind leg.  This is your leg in hip extension.  Glute max is responsible for stepping up (climbing stairs), climbing, running and getting you up out of your chair or off the sofa.   Its a very important muscle to keep happy and moving freely.  Your glute max works closely with your hamstring (back of the thigh) to keep you standing up and to help you stand up again if you bend forwards towards your toes. 

Unfortunately glute max can get out of shape or become inhibited (stop working as well due to something else).  The hamstring (back of thigh muscles) or hip flexors (see post 4th March 2022) can try to do some of the work that should be done by your glute max.  I had a very lazy glute max muscles when I started my Pilates journey, but they are reluctantly doing their job now. 

If you want to get ahead of the glute max game, climb stairs!  Not just once, but every time stairs are an option. 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flex, rotate, extend and articulate your spine.

Articulate your spine!  How many times have you been asked to do this in a Pilates lesson?  If you come to one of mine, probably lots.   The cue, "articulate your spine" is used in the large pelvic tilt exercise and is used to promote movement between each individual vertebra.  In a large pelvic tilt you start in the Pilates relaxation position.  Firstly you tilt your pelvis so that your lower back moves closer to your mat and your pubic bone rises (a small pelvic tilt).  Then leading from your pubic bone you peel your spine from the mat one vertebra at a time, until you reach a bridge position.  To come back down, I like to think I am trying to imprint my spine into sand.  So to make a really good spine print I have to get each vertebra to touch down individually finishing with my tail bone.  Naturally I am engaging my core throughout the whole exercise.  So what do we achieve by articulating our spines?  We have lots of muscl...

Can Pilates really help weak feet and ankles?

 Yes........I should explain why.  As you already know from last weeks post you have lots of perfectly places bones in your foot supporting the weight from your body in three fabulous arches and some other bony structures. These bones are held in place by ligaments, fascia, tendons and muscles.   Foot exercises are really important to the health of you feet, you should not exclude your feet and ankles from your exercise plan.  Strengthening the muscles that run from the top of your calf and then under you foot where they fan out will improve the mobility of your foot and support the planter fascia (a strong layer of fibrous tissue beneath the skin on the sole of the foot).   In Pilates you might notice that rising up onto your tip toes and controlling your decent is a regular feature to lessons.  This is taught as it works 8 lower limb muscles which all support the ankle and have foot operation responsibilities.  Next time you go onto tip toe...

Pilates key principles: Precision

 Before I trained as a Pilates teacher I attended classes for years.  I was always trying to speed through exercises to get extra repetitions in and prove to myself that I was really strong.  However I was not really strong and I was not aware of the key Pilates principles.  Precision in movement is the exact manner that an action is executed.  When you are completing a Pilates exercise you are using your breath to power you movement, your concentration, your Centre, your control and finally your precision.   The greater the precision the more likely you are to find the muscles that should be exercised and then to achieve your goal.    When exercising I am thinking of the muscle that should be working, isolating it and being precises in my movement.  Precision can make the difference between accessing a muscle or not.  Next time you are in a class, slow down and connect with the muscle your working.  Use all the Pilates princip...