Skip to main content

Adductors of the thigh. What are they?

 Adductors are more commonly known as you inner thigh muscles.  On my inner thigh I can describe the area as the meaty/squishy part of the leg on the inside of the thigh.  The adductor muscles are responsible for bringing you legs together.  Wherever you are right now, squeeze your legs together, as if you are trying to make yourself into a merperson and only have a single tail.  You should be able to feel the muscles of the inner thigh activate making this pulling together, squeezing motion. 

The inner thigh is made of 5 large muscles, I have always thought it is strange for a part of my body that I don't really feel I use a lot to have so many muscles.  The muscles are called adductor longus, adductor brevis, adductor magnus, gracilis and pectineus.  

The adductor muscles stabilize your pelvis whilst you to walk, run and jump.   They are generally really important for healthy movement and a pain free pelvis.  So why don't we talk about them as much as our glutes? (glutes are included in the abductors) I think it could be because you cant get a bubble bum from working your adductors and popular culture is responsible for many of the things we focus on. 

It is relatively common for the adductor muscles (inner thigh) to be weak.  This can show up when we do a large pelvic tilt exercise. 

For the large pelvic tilt you start laying on you back knees lifted towards the ceiling, feet on the mat and hip width apart.  Inhale, exhale engage your core (What do I think about when I engage my core?) and lift your pubic bone up towards the ceiling until your lumber spin has imprinted into you mat, then continue to peel you spine from the mat one vertebra at a time until you reach a bridge position.  When you do this movement, if you feel that you knees want to open out away from each other, or your big toe wants to peel away from the mat it could be that your adductor muscles need some additional strengthening. To complete the large pelvic tilt movement, inhale, exhale engage your core and slowly imprint your spine back on the mat one vertebra at a time. 

As always please only attempt the exercises described if you are confident with what you are doing and are not in pain.  Please let me know if you have questions and enjoy knowing you adductors slightly better. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flex, rotate, extend and articulate your spine.

Articulate your spine!  How many times have you been asked to do this in a Pilates lesson?  If you come to one of mine, probably lots.   The cue, "articulate your spine" is used in the large pelvic tilt exercise and is used to promote movement between each individual vertebra.  In a large pelvic tilt you start in the Pilates relaxation position.  Firstly you tilt your pelvis so that your lower back moves closer to your mat and your pubic bone rises (a small pelvic tilt).  Then leading from your pubic bone you peel your spine from the mat one vertebra at a time, until you reach a bridge position.  To come back down, I like to think I am trying to imprint my spine into sand.  So to make a really good spine print I have to get each vertebra to touch down individually finishing with my tail bone.  Naturally I am engaging my core throughout the whole exercise.  So what do we achieve by articulating our spines?  We have lots of muscl...

Can Pilates really help weak feet and ankles?

 Yes........I should explain why.  As you already know from last weeks post you have lots of perfectly places bones in your foot supporting the weight from your body in three fabulous arches and some other bony structures. These bones are held in place by ligaments, fascia, tendons and muscles.   Foot exercises are really important to the health of you feet, you should not exclude your feet and ankles from your exercise plan.  Strengthening the muscles that run from the top of your calf and then under you foot where they fan out will improve the mobility of your foot and support the planter fascia (a strong layer of fibrous tissue beneath the skin on the sole of the foot).   In Pilates you might notice that rising up onto your tip toes and controlling your decent is a regular feature to lessons.  This is taught as it works 8 lower limb muscles which all support the ankle and have foot operation responsibilities.  Next time you go onto tip toe...

Pilates key principles: Precision

 Before I trained as a Pilates teacher I attended classes for years.  I was always trying to speed through exercises to get extra repetitions in and prove to myself that I was really strong.  However I was not really strong and I was not aware of the key Pilates principles.  Precision in movement is the exact manner that an action is executed.  When you are completing a Pilates exercise you are using your breath to power you movement, your concentration, your Centre, your control and finally your precision.   The greater the precision the more likely you are to find the muscles that should be exercised and then to achieve your goal.    When exercising I am thinking of the muscle that should be working, isolating it and being precises in my movement.  Precision can make the difference between accessing a muscle or not.  Next time you are in a class, slow down and connect with the muscle your working.  Use all the Pilates princip...