Skip to main content

How can I start to train my abs? (I can't do a chest lift)

 Abdominal training is part of every movement in Pilates.  How many times do you hear your teacher ask you to engage your core?  (What do I think about when engaging my core?) Well your abdominals are a 1/4 of your core and are being used even when the majority of the exercise is elsewhere in your body.  If you missed Your core muscles are like a tin can take 5 mins and give it a read, I hope it will enlighten you.

If you want to start from scratch having never trained before I would initially start practicing finding your core muscles.  Sit or lie down quietly and focus on engaging your core.  Then I would move onto an exercise like the bug.  Where you lay semi supine (on your back with knees raise to the ceiling, feet hip width apart on the floor and a neutral sine position) and glide opposite arm and leg away from your body whilst squeezing your core.  You could exhale and engage you core as you glide your arm and leg away and then inhale as they return.  It sounds quite easy, but can you do it without wiggling in your middle and can you make your arm and leg reach their destination at exactly the same time?  Try to notice if your rib cage is flaring up towards the ceiling when you arm reaches overhead.  Can you use your core muscles to pull the rib cage down towards the pelvis and resist the flaring out? This is a great start to finding your core muscles and getting them ready for something a little harder.  The bug is not an easy exercise.  It is easy to get wrong, but take lots of concentration and control to preform correctly. 




As always, don't do anything that hurts and seek professional advice if you are not sure about an exercise. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pilates key principles: Precision

 Before I trained as a Pilates teacher I attended classes for years.  I was always trying to speed through exercises to get extra repetitions in and prove to myself that I was really strong.  However I was not really strong and I was not aware of the key Pilates principles.  Precision in movement is the exact manner that an action is executed.  When you are completing a Pilates exercise you are using your breath to power you movement, your concentration, your Centre, your control and finally your precision.   The greater the precision the more likely you are to find the muscles that should be exercised and then to achieve your goal.    When exercising I am thinking of the muscle that should be working, isolating it and being precises in my movement.  Precision can make the difference between accessing a muscle or not.  Next time you are in a class, slow down and connect with the muscle your working.  Use all the Pilates princip...

Flex, rotate, extend and articulate your spine.

Articulate your spine!  How many times have you been asked to do this in a Pilates lesson?  If you come to one of mine, probably lots.   The cue, "articulate your spine" is used in the large pelvic tilt exercise and is used to promote movement between each individual vertebra.  In a large pelvic tilt you start in the Pilates relaxation position.  Firstly you tilt your pelvis so that your lower back moves closer to your mat and your pubic bone rises (a small pelvic tilt).  Then leading from your pubic bone you peel your spine from the mat one vertebra at a time, until you reach a bridge position.  To come back down, I like to think I am trying to imprint my spine into sand.  So to make a really good spine print I have to get each vertebra to touch down individually finishing with my tail bone.  Naturally I am engaging my core throughout the whole exercise.  So what do we achieve by articulating our spines?  We have lots of muscl...

Can Pilates really help weak feet and ankles?

 Yes........I should explain why.  As you already know from last weeks post you have lots of perfectly places bones in your foot supporting the weight from your body in three fabulous arches and some other bony structures. These bones are held in place by ligaments, fascia, tendons and muscles.   Foot exercises are really important to the health of you feet, you should not exclude your feet and ankles from your exercise plan.  Strengthening the muscles that run from the top of your calf and then under you foot where they fan out will improve the mobility of your foot and support the planter fascia (a strong layer of fibrous tissue beneath the skin on the sole of the foot).   In Pilates you might notice that rising up onto your tip toes and controlling your decent is a regular feature to lessons.  This is taught as it works 8 lower limb muscles which all support the ankle and have foot operation responsibilities.  Next time you go onto tip toe...